Gandzasar monastery (Artsakh)

The monastery at Gandzasar was first mentioned in the tenth century. The construction of Gandzasar's Cathedral of St. John the Baptist began in 1216, under the patronage of the Armenian prince of KhachenHasan-Jalal Dawla, and it was completed in 1238 and consecrated on July 22, 1240. Gandzasar's cathedral church shares many architectural forms with the main churches of two other Armenian monasteries also built in the mid-13th century: Hovhannavank monastery and Harichavank monastery.